Sunday, August 29, 2021

Remembering James Hand and Tom T. Hall

     It's been a pretty dismal 18 months now and a lot of music greats have died.  In just the last two weeks, Tom T. Hall, Don Everly, Lee "Scratch" Perry, and Charlie Watts have left us.   Another loss that I was not aware of until a couple of months ago was James Hand, the great country singer from Texas who died in June 2020.  I probably would still not have known about this were it not for Charley Crockett releasing an entire album of James Hand covers earlier this year that I highly recommend.  As a further homage to James Hand, I'm posting his out of print debut album, Shadows Where the Magic Was, a true honky-tonk masterpiece from 1997.   He's also one the first Texas Legends compilation (with Don Walser and Justin Trevino)  Since much of Tom T. Hall's output is still available for streaming and/or purchase, I'm posting the out of print 1998 tribute album: Real: A Tom T. Hall project.  As with all tribute albums, there are a few misses, but this one has a really high batting average. 


Shadows Where the Magic Was

Over There That's Frank
Baby Baby Don't Tell Me That
I Heard Mama Callin
Heart Of Mine
I Can't Afford To Go
The Banks Of The Brazos
If You Can't Tell The Difference
Little Bitty Slip
Shadows Where The Magic Was
Lord Above Can You Hear Me
Not Worth The Trouble Anymore
Merry Christmas Darlin'
Everybody Got It But Me
My Hearts' Been Cheatin' On Me


I Washed My Face in the Morning Dew     Johnny Cash
That's How I Got to Memphis                 Kelly Willis
When Love Is Gone                             Richard Buckner
Don't Forget the Coffee, Billy Joe             R.B. Morris
Coffee, Coffee, Coffee                             Freedy Johnston
Old Enough to Want to (Fool Enough to Try)  Jonny Polonsky
Ships Go Out                                             Ron Sexsmith
I Miss a lot of Trains                             Iris Dement
Tulsa Telephone Book                             Calexico
Harper Valley P.T.A.                             Syd Straw & The Skeletons
Spokane Motel Blues                             Joel R.L. Phelps
Homecoming                                             Joe Henry
The Water Lily                               Ralph Stanley featuring Ralph Stanley II
I'm Not Ready Yet                                     The Mary Janes
Candy in the Window                             Mary Cutrufello
I Hope it Rains at my Funeral        Whiskeytown
It Sure Can Get Cold in Des Moines    Mark Olson With Victoria Williams

2 comments:

Crab Devil said...

Thank you very much for these two albums.

Ishkabibliophile said...

@Crab Devil,

You're quite welcome.

Ish