Saturday, August 1, 2026

The Magnificent Mulatu Astatke

         It's a pretty tough movie to watch, but I highly recommend The Nickel Boys (and the novel).  The end of the film also has one of my very favorite needle drops of all time - playing Mulatu Astatke's "Tezeta" at a crucial point in the movie.  I don't know why it works so well, but it's absolutely sublime.  I'd been listening to Mulatu since I discovered the Ethiopiques series about 20 years ago, but hearing Tezeta in the movie set me off on a listening binge (which I'm still on).  He stopped recording for a while, but his comeback albums are very good - I especially like his collaboration with the Heliocentrics.  Hope folks like it (and go watch The Nickel Boys if you haven't seen it yet.)


Ené Alantchi Alnorem
Lalibela Fever Dream
Hager Fiker
Living On Stolen Land
Asiyo Bellema feat. Frank Holder & Niaaza Alsherif
Emnete
Kasalefkut hulu
Green Africa
Fire In The Zoo
Mulatu 
Girl From Addis Ababa
The Radcliffe (Live)
Tezeta
Yashan

No comments: