Sunday, January 29, 2023

The Singular Miss Simone: An Homage to Nina Simone

       The one and only Nina Simone would be turning 90 on February 21 so I thought it only proper to honor her with a little homage.  To be clear, she only formally "wrote" about half of the songs on the compilation, but Nina's versions of the songs (several of which are traditional songs) are in almost all the cases, the definitive versions of the songs.  (Yola, however, does credit Aretha Franklin's arrangement of "To Be Young, Gifted, and Black".)  For instance, Jeff Buckley's version of Lilac Wine isn't a note for note cover, but it's pretty clear that her version was the one that inspired him.   

           I should also note my inspiration for this compilation is the 1996 release "Nina Sings Nina" which features a bunch of the songs on this compilation.  The actual cd is out of print, but I'm pretty sure all songs are still available.

 Download

My Mama Could Sing (Intro)

Lisa Simone

Come Ye

India.Arie

Wild Is The Wind

Ms. Lauryn Hill

Lilac Wine

Jeff Buckley

Sea Lion Woman

Feist

African Mailman

The Rhythmagic Orchestra

Sinnerman

Keziah Jones

Be My Husband

Dianne Reeves

Four Women

Malia

...Sugar In My Bowl

Asylum Street Spankers

Either Way I Lose

Meshell Ndegeocello

Plain Gold Ring

Kimbra

Mississippi Goddam

Piano Tribute Players

I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free)

Solomon Burke

To Be Young, Gifted and Black

Yola



2 comments:

J. said...

Thanks Great Album Grtz

Ishkabibliophile said...

@J and Crab Devil,

You're quite welcome! Definitely a labor of love!

Ish