Thursday, October 4, 2012

Happy 15th Yep Roc!

          I was going to get all righteous (or just a little righteous) in discussing music labels and why they still matter, but I'm going to refrain and just say that Yep Roc has long seemed to be a cool (well, except for the name), artist friendly label.  And since they're celebrating their 15th birthday next weekend (October 11-13th) with a set of live shows in Carrboro, North Carolina by their various acts, I thought an homage was in order.  There's one track from each year from a different Yep Roc artist starting in 1998 with Nick Lowe's Faithless Lover from his Dig My Mood album (*) and ending with Eleni Mandell's Bun in the Oven (from her 2012 release I Can See the Future).  Needless to say, there were some Yep Roc artists I really like (I'm looking at you Big Sandy, Dave Alvin, etc.) that I couldn't fit in.

Download

Faithless Lover Nick Lowe
One Paper Kid Two Dollar Pistols With Tift Merritt
Turquoise Laika & The Cosmonauts
Fool's Paradise Greg Hawks & The Tremblers
Shallow Heart, Shallow Water Caitlin Cary
Some Tears Thad Cockrell
Drivin' All Night Long Amy Farris
Georgia Hard Robbie Fulks
Adventure Rocket Ship Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3
The Trial The Sadies
El Huracan y Pin Pon The Iguanas
Hot Talk Chuck Prophet
Cloud Spitter Steve Wynn And The Miracle 3
Little Tiger John Doe
Bun In The Oven Eleni Mandell



* I know Dig My Mood was initially released by Upstart records, but it was reissued by Yep Roc.  Therefore, it counts. :)

No comments: