Thursday, December 1, 2011

Baby, I'm A Charlie Rich Fan


In addition to his eclecticism (and his rather unique career arc), one of the things I find most intriguing about Charlie Rich is that his wife Margaret Rich wrote (or co-wrote) some of his material. Offhand, I can't really think of another male singer (or even that many female singers) with that dynamic. One of her compositions, in fact, leads off this compilation - Life Has Its Little Ups and Downs. I tried to stay away from any songs on his great 2 two cd best of collection: Feel Like Going Home, but Life Has Its Little Ups and Downs was just too perfect as the opening track. I did however, have enough willpower not to put his great demo version of Feel Like Going Home from that collection as the closer. :)


Life Has It's Little Ups And Downs
Down On The River
Philadelphia Baby
You Win Again
Just Like Old Times
Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast
Blowin' Town
A Sunday Kind Of Woman
Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
Am I Blue?
Almost Persuaded
Now Everybody Knows
That's How Much I Love You
You Can Have Her
Don't Come Knocking On My Door
Just a Little Bit Sweet
Very Much Alone
I Take It On Home

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. Love Charlie Rich. Also, for one example of an artist who has a similar working relationship with his wife: Tom Waits.

Anonymous said...

Very much appreciate the music, but would suggest finding some other file sharing service. Sendspace is full of malware and browser exploits. I just got an unwanted exe download from Sendspace in addition to the Charlie Rich zip file. Despite the absurd checkmark rating at the top of this page, check out these user reviews regarding Sendspace:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/sendspace.com/msgpage

Miles said...

Clever title! To quote to above mentioned Tom Waits, "he sure can sing that son of a bitch."

Those who associate Rich solely with 'Behind Closed Doors' don't know what their missing. Thanks for this comp.

Ishkabibliophile said...

@anonymous,

Yeah, I forgot about Mr. Waits and Kathleen Brennan (and she arguably plays a much bigger role in his music.) I did say offhand, though. :) And it's always an interesting dynamic.

@anonymous2,
I will leave the current ones on sendspace, but I'll try mediafire (lifehacker gave them a pretty good review).

@Miles,
And Mr. Waits is never wrong! He really was a great singer - and even though it took him a long time, it's nice that he finally had some hits in the 70s.

Anonymous said...

More Charlie! This is excellent stuff.

art58koen said...

Thanks, good collection!

Ishkabibliophile said...

@anonymous & drfeelgoed,

Nice to know I'm not the only Charlie Rich fan!

Anonymous said...

Didn't realize I like Charlie Rich. Fabulous comp.

Ishkabibliophile said...

@anonymous,

As I noted above, it's nice that Rich had some hits in the 70s, but it also means that his 50s and 60s stuff is overlooked. Of course, it probably would have been overlooked if he hadn't had those hits in the 70s. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the link. I forgot how much I loved him!

Ishkabibliophile said...

@anonymous,

I think, unfortunately, his eclectic career makes him easier to forget. If you're looking for a little more Rich, you should check out The Fabulous Charlie Rich.