Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Kings of Rock 'n' Roll: A Prefab Sprout Collection


For the uninitiated, Prefab Sprout had a pretty big cult following in the 80s (and at least 1 top ten single in England). When they first came out, some likened them to an English Steely Dan, but that description really didn't do justice to frontman/songwriter Paddy McAloon's pop genius. Tonight's mixtapes feature a lot of obscurities as well as cuts from all of their albums (including their most recent Let's Change the World With Music) except for Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good (okay, there is an acoustic version of Faron Young from the deluxe edition cd) and Jordan: The Comeback. I left them out because they are such perfect albums from start to finish. I really like Protest Songs as well, but it's a collection of great songs whereas Steve McQueen and Jordan are albums that I can't imagine listening to on shuffle.


The King Of Rock 'N' Roll
Vendetta
Walk On
Wicked Things
Dublin
Dragons
I Remember That
He'll Have To Go
Wild Card In The Pack
Sweet Gospel Music
Girl I'm Here
Nero The Zero
Real Life (Just Around The Corner)
Electric Guitars
Cruel


God Watch Over You
The Sound Of Crying
A Prisoner Of The Past
Faron Young
Cowboy Dreams
Wichita Lineman
Love Will Find Someone For You
Radio Love
Tin Can Pot
Spinning Belinda
Life Of Surprises
Wigs
Andromeda Heights
Donna Summer
The Golden Calf

5 comments:

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

Great collection - and what a great cover!

Ishkabibliophile said...

@FBCB,

Glad you like it! As for the cover, I got it from a great photo gallery site (which I think I forgot to bookmark) of Britain in the 50s. It kinda reminded me of the covers from some of their singles in the 80s - they had a similar aesthetic to the Smiths singles of that era.

Paul said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing this. I really love the Steve McQueen album, but for some reason I never even got around to listening to the rest of their stuff.

Ishkabibliophile said...

@Paul,

So whaddya think?:) I should mention my debt to the site http://geantvener.blogspot.com/
for posting a bunch of the singles.

Paul said...

I need more listens before I render a final verdict. I think Steve McQueen was such a perfect album that it's going to be hard for me to get fully behind the rest of their stuff. Thanks again.