Thursday, January 6, 2011

Vested in the Volebeats

I could write a lament about how criminally under-appreciated The Volebeats are, but since it's a bright, shiny new year, I think it's better to focus on their terrific songwriting, gorgeous melodies, and hypnotic mix of country twang and psychedelic 60s pop. (Plus, they have a dandy new self-titled cd.) So here's 16 super "should have been hits" from Detroit's finest. And for those of you new to The Volebeats and wanting more, I'd start with The Sky and the Ocean, Like Her, or their new one.

(Update Dec 2011: Due to a problem with the song I Had to Tell You, I re-upped the entire comp.)


I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More, Baby
Back In Your Heart
Feel The Same
This Girl
World's Looking Lonely
Hamtramck Mama
I Had To Tell You
Moon Beams
One I Love
It's Alright
Standing Next to You
Maggot Brain
Not Here Not Gone
What You've Been Saying
Empty Streets
Sky and the Ocean

11 comments:

Paul said...

Yea Volebeats!

I go way back with these guys. My band played quite a few shows with them in the Detroit and Hamtramck Michigan bars during the early 1990s.

They used to have a very pretty fiddle player named Rebecca who quit the band early on. I've always wondered what happened to her...

Ishkabibliophile said...

@Paul,

I also always have a yea! for the Volebeats. :)

I saw them around 94/95 in Albany when they put out their first album. Alas, there was no pretty fiddle player, but they seemed like good guys. They don't seem to be touring behind their new album, but it'd be nice see it get some more well deserved publicity.

Paul said...

They are super friendly. At least they were 20 years ago.

Damn. Time really flies.

McDaggett said...

Best band ever! When everything else fails to touch you, music-wise or more, there is still the Volebeats. Good choice of songs. I would have included Voles in NYC. Bob McCreedy's Streamline CD is excellent, too. Mailed him to buy a physical copy of his second solo album as well, but never got any reply. Great songwriter, though.

Ishkabibliophile said...

@McDaggett,

You know, in retrospect, I should have included Voles in NYC. And you're right - they are a great band! As for McCreedy, I wasn't crazy about a couple of tracks from his solo album, but I'll have to go back and check them out again.

Anonymous said...

'I had To Tell You' skips in a couple of places. Any chance for a fix?

Ishkabibliophile said...

@anonymous,

I'll check it out this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Any chance for a reup at this late date?

Ishkabibliophile said...

@anonymous,

It's just been re-upped. Enjoy!

Ish

Anonymous said...

Link dead!!!

Ishkabibliophile said...

Just re-upped it. Enjoy!!

Ish